- See our selection of online animations here
Christmas Competition – ideas for Reuse
- Free to enter
- Closing date New Year’s Day
- Prizes for the two best Reuse ideas
- Winning ideas to be featured in the Kidlington News
Do you have a clever tip for avoiding waste – at any time of the year – which you would like to share?
You could hold a mini-competition at home over the holidays and send in your winning idea. Here’s an example.
Email your entry, with a photo if that helps, to email@example.com. (We will not keep your contact details on our mailing list unless you ask us to.)
Film Show with food and conversation
The film is almost 10 years old but having watched it again recently, it’s still quite relevant. That’s because the problem has not gone away. Remarkably, the phrase ‘climate change’ is only mentioned once, and if anyone can spot more than one mention, Steve will eatg his hat.
We hope it will stimulate some informative conversation around why we are collectively failing to address the climate change problem that no-one likes to mention any more.
Wednesday 30 October – Baptist Church Hall, High Street, Kidlington, OX5 2DS – doors open at 6.15pm – food and drink included.
We aim to start the film at 6.30, and break for a light supper. Then we’ll share impressions and get answers to questions. The event will end by 8.45pm at the latest.
Booking is desirable, so we can plan the food, and we ask for £3 to cover our costs (payable on the door). To book, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
On Saturday 21st September, from 10am to 1pm, our Abundance group will be pressing apples at St Thomas More School.
Come and join the fun! (Download the poster)
Bring a your apples, pears and/or grapes -
some clean empty bottles with screw cap lids
and take home some juice!
Fruit does not have to be in perfect condition,
(windfalls and ‘meaty’ ones are fine) and mixed varieties make an even more interesting juice.
For more information visit www.kvscc.org.uk or ring 07583 158495
or email Abundance@KvsCC.org.uk
You may have seen us in the High Street in late February and early March promoting free Green Deal assessments for Kidlington residents, and risking hypothermia at the same time! Well all the assessments have been completed and we brought the householders together in May to talk about the energy efficiency measures that have been recommended to them in their Green Deal Advice Reports. We also outlined the process of getting quotes from so-called Green Deal Providers who can put together a plan and the finance for getting the work done, including finding “ECO” grant funding for part of the cost. (ECO stands for Energy Company Obligation). This was a very worthwhile project, because it is untainted by big business using the assessment visit as an opportunity to sell their own particular energy efficiency measures.
During the winter of 2011-12 we ran the Low Carbon Living Programme for several households in Kidlington and surrounding areas. We would love to run it again for 2012-13. If you are interested, just email us at
email@example.com or phone Steve on 01865 379913. If we get enough people, we’ll start it in January.
The programme begins with calculating your carbon footprint, which includes one of us completing a detailed questionnaire with you, taking about an hour. Then over the coming weeks there will be 6 carbon busting sessions going into detail about Lighting & Appliances, Heating & Insulation, Travel, Food & Cooking, Waste Reduction & Stuff, and Green Energy. Twelve months down the line, we’ll do another carbon footprint so you can see the effect of any changes you decide to make.
About KvsCC: In the summer of 2007 at the Kidlington Summer Gala .….. Anthony met Janet.
Janet had paid a visit to the stand Anthony was manning for ClimateXchange, they got chatting and soon realised they shared a common interest in:
- Protecting our environment
- Sustainable living
- Raising awareness about the implications of climate change
Soon after that first meeting the local community action group Kidlington vs Climate Change was formed.
The Eco group’s core membership continues to grow as more Kidlington residents looking to make a difference and live a more sustainable lifestyle want to learn about:
Environmental issues effecting Kidlington
- Make savings on their homes energy
- Running eco friendly homes
- Going about reducing carbon footprints
Since 2007 Kidlington vs Climate Change members have worked together to help raise public awareness in an informative, friendly, fun way.
Kidlington vs Climate Change have organised many events to help raise awareness of local residents:
- Kidlington Gala with ClimateXchange.
- Packed screening of Al Gore film “An Inconvenient Truth”
- Kidlington Gala stand. The chair‘s (Anthony Simpson) workplace RM plc, was named in The Sunday Times Top 50 Green Companies. Anthony helped set up RM’s green group in 2004.
- June: Our first Kidlington Eco Fair.
- July: Kidlington Gala stand.
- September: “Age of Stupid” film night.
- Winter: Global Action Challenge project with Kidlington Sea Scouts
- February: “Climate Change Condensed” workshop.
- June: Eco Fair
- Winter: Anaerobic Food waste digestion & composting.
- Workshop making Jewellery from recycled materials
- Carbon Conversations – a course of 6 facilitated discussion groups
- March: Open meeting “Kidlington Taking Control – To reduce our carbon, to reduce our bills”
- April: From April the first Tuesday of each month ‘Kidlington Green Drinks’ at The Squire Bassett, Kidlington – join us from 8.30pm
- June: Eco Fair 18th June